Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Reflection 6

In class yesterday, we finished up our interactive read-alouds. It was great to hear all the different stories everyone picked throughout this activity. I got to see a variety of post-reading activities that I could use for my classroom.
This past week, we read and learned about vocabulary. I really loved the book, Miss Allienous, that Rachel read to us to get us started on the topic of vocabulary. It was really good and I am going to look for it for my classroom. One thing I find very interesting in the vocabulary PowerPoint is where it says to not talk down to a child. That is something that I have heard people do, even when the child is in kindergarten or first grade and old enough to comprehend what you are saying. I learned that it is better to use "appropriate terminology and explain the meaning to the child". This will build the child's vocabulary because when they hear you say the word, then they are more likely to say it in conversation themselves. Another thing that I think is a great idea is to use vocabulary throughout all subjects. If students are surrounded by vocabulary then it will be easier for them to acquire.

No comments:

Post a Comment