Monday, October 31, 2011

Reflection 8

In class today, we talked about a variety of topics. One thing that stood out to me is reading recovery. I have heard of it before, but I was never really sure what it was. Having an example shown to the class was very helpful so we could actually see how it works and what a reading recovery book looks like. I think the reading recovery program is great; however, I do see why some school systems do not have this program. It can be an extra expense that some schools just cannot afford to fund.

Another thing we discussed today is the stages of spelling development. I thought this was very interesting since I had never seen the stages before. I like how each stage is broken down and gives a typical age of children in those stages. In Stage 2, abbreviated spellings are typical of 5-7  year olds. I have seen kids write this way and I never realized that they are in this spelling development stage. The abbreviated spelling kind of reminds me of texting lingo. I think it is funny that we find ways to shorten words when we are texting, but I bet we actually used to use abbreviated spelling when we were in this stage of spelling development. It is just different way to look at it.

Our class also participated in a problem-based learning activity. We looked at an article on homework and shared our thoughts and feelings within our group to the rest of the class. It was also an attention-grabber to hear the thoughts of others on this now controversial topic.

I also think that learning about the cloze procedure is interesting. It seem like it would be very effective. I did the fill in the blanks example in the book and found that I got every word correct except two words. I thought that was kind of neat, and I am looking forward to assessing a child using this procedure.

1 comment:

  1. Great insights on the spelling stages, Andrea! Isn't it interesting to think about these stages and realize everything we learn about language is developmental?

    Also, I ran out of time to make comments on posts last week, but I appreciate your comment about our Writing Workshop session last week. I, too, thought most of you seemed more engaged in the morning, so perhaps this is something I should consider changing permanently next year.

    ReplyDelete