Monday, November 14, 2011

Reflection 10

In class today, we started off with read-alouds. I particularly liked the Llama Llama book that Amanda read to the class. I really liked how she said she could use the book to show her class how rhyming words can be used in stories. I also liked Amber's book and Tresa's book. Both of their books were by the same author and were the same type of books, just using different animals. I liked how they said they would tell their classes to pay attention to how the author builds on what has happened. Doing read-alouds in this class is very helpful because we get to see all the different activities we can do using stories.

We also went over running records again to make sure we all understood how to do them. We got with a partner and practiced making the miscue marks. I found this exercise to be very helpful in practicing the marks. I think this is going to be one of the hardest parts of the Informal Reading Inventory. I am definitely going to use a tape recorder when doing the running record. I think this is the only way I will be able to make sure all my miscue marks are correct.

Another activity we did in class today was during our writing workshop time. We talked about using multi-cultural books in our classrooms. We got with a partner and picked a book. We read the book and discussed how it is about a culture and how we can use it in our classrooms. The book that Kayla and I picked was kind of sad until the ending. It seemed to be a trend that most of the books our class read had a sad part in it. I think it was just a coincidence, but it was interesting. We then got in our groups to work on our PBL. Overall, I think the best part of the day was practicing the running record. I know that doing this and getting introduced to making the marks myself is going to help me greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment