Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reflection 11

This past Monday's class was very entertaining. We learned what graphic novels are. Each group did a little research about their specific graphic novel. We then presented our findings to the class. I think every group said that a con was it was mostly targeted to boys; however, we did not fully understand at first that this was not a type of novel for the whole class to read. After we found out that we should have approached the assignment differently, I can see the benefits of having this type of novel in the classroom. Some graphic novels would draw the interest of boys because they are set up to look like comic books.

We also discussed some things in our writer's workshop. A thought that came to mind with this discussion is when I was in seventh grade, our teacher had the class keep a journal throughout the year. We would come in to his class of a morning and get out our journals which was a composition notebook. The topic of the day was always posted on the board. On Friday's we were able to write about whatever we want. I think that I liked the idea of keeping a journal when I was in seventh grade, but now that I look back on it, on Friday's I only wrote about my friends and things that just happened. It wasn't really anything productive.

My favorite part of class yesterday was when we did a poetry jam. I had never participated in anything like this before, and I think it is something that kids would really get into and enjoy. I really like how everything was connected and I did not think that anything could relate to Tresa's booger poem. This is definitely something I would like to incorporate in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment